UPDATE: LinkShare is no longer the iTunes affiliate program. Join PHG. This page will soon be replaced.
Instead of telling your audience to find you in iTunes, give them a direct link that does the work for them! This video episode will show you how to create direct links, and even how to make some money from your podcast.
Get your iTunes URL
Before we can do anything, you need your iTunes URL. We can skip this step if you make an affiliate link (see below).
- Find your podcast in iTunes (side tip, never tell your audience to “find you” anywhere!).
- Right-click on the podcast cover art and choose “copy link.”
Method 1: “itms”
This first way to do this will make your iTunes links open directly in iTunes without even loading a webpage.
Right now, your iTunes URL will look something like the following.
1 <a href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/audacity-to-podcast-video/id590456548?mt=2">https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/audacity-to-podcast-video/id590456548?mt=2</a>
All you need to do is change “https” (or “http”) to “itms” at the beginning of this URL.
1 <a href="itms://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/audacity-to-podcast-video/id590456548?mt=2">itms://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/audacity-to-podcast-video/id590456548?mt=2</a>
This won’t even open a new tab or window, but it will immediately prompt first-time users whether they want to allow these kinds of links to open in iTunes.
This works on PCs with iTunes installed and also iOS devices.
Method 2: affiliate link (recommended)
The second way to do this will open your podcast on a webpage and then launch iTunes. You also have the potential to earn affiliate income after visitors click your link!
- Sign up for Rakuten LinkShare.
- Find the US iTunes affiliate program.
- Apply to participate. This may require further communication with the affiliate manager to explain that you want to use the affiliate links for your podcast.
- When you’re approved, visit and bookmark the Link Maker Tool.
- Enter the name of your podcast and change the Media Type to “Podcasts.”
- Click on “Podcast Link” and copy the Direct Link URL. (Alternatively, you can use their HTML code for a text or image link.)
Your URL will now look like the following.
1 <a href="http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=bngBF7mJmT4&offerid=146261&type=3&subid=0&tmpid=1826&RD_PARM1=https%253A%252F%252Fitunes.apple.com%252Fus%252Fpodcast%252Faudacity-to-podcast-video%252Fid590456548%253Fmt%253D2%2526uo%253D4%2526partnerId%253D30">http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat?id=bngBF7mJmT4&offerid=146261&type=3&subid=0&tmpid=1826&RD_PARM1=https%253A%252F%252Fitunes.apple.com%252Fus%252Fpodcast%252Faudacity-to-podcast-video%252Fid590456548%253Fmt%253D2%2526uo%253D4%2526partnerId%253D30</a>
Using this URL will open your podcast on the iTunes website and then launch iTunes directly into your podcast listing. I prefer this method because it works better for those who don’t have iTunes installed. But it may still prompt first-time users to allow these kinds of links to open in iTunes.
You can also make money from your podcast with this link! You won’t get paid for visitors merely clicking the link or subscribing to your podcast. But if they purchase anything from iTunes (and potentially the iOS and Mac App Stores) within 72 hours of clicking your link, you’ll earn 5% of their purchase!
Also keep the Link Maker Tool in your bookmarks in case you want to link to someone else’s podcast or anything else in iTunes, the iOS App Store, or the Mac App Store.
Make a friendly URL
That new affiliate URL is long and unfriendly. Make this easier for yourself and your listeners by making a friendly link with Pretty Link Lite or a similar URL redirection tool.
- Login to your WordPress admin and go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for “Pretty Link Lite.” (The premium Pretty Link Pro is also great and worth the upgrade expense.)
- Click “Install.”
- Go to Pretty Link > Add New Link.
- Change the Redirection Type to “301 (Permanent).”
- Paste the LinkShare URL into the Target URL field.
- Set the Pretty Link field to something easy to remember, like “itunes” (resulting in yourwebsite.com/itunes).
- Enable Hits on this Link if you want to see how many people use it.
- Change any other options you wish, and then click Create.
Now you’ll have a friendly URL you can use on your site and even speak in your podcast. Telling your audience your easy-to-remember URL (like yourwebsite.com/itunes) is much better than tell them to “find you” in iTunes.
Add the link to your website
Now that you have an easy URL for your podcast in iTunes, you need it on your website so visitors can easily subscribe, rate, and review you from iTunes.
Link text by highlighting it and click the Insert/edit link button in the WordPress editor. Or adapt the following HTML code with your text and URL.
1 <a href="http://theaudacitytopodcast.com/itunes">Subscribe in iTunes!</a>
Or make an attractive button on your website link this:
- Buy my Social Subscribe & Follow Links premium plugin for WordPress.
- Login to your WordPress admin and go to Plugins > Add New.
- Click Upload.
- Click Choose File and choose subscribe-and-follow.zip, then click Install Now.
- Activate the plugin.
- Go to Settings > Subscribe & Follow.
- Enter your friendly iTunes URL into the iTunes field and click Save Changes.
- Adjust anything else under the Display Options tab and Save Changes.
- Insert the Social Subscribe & Follow Links widget somewhere on your website or use shortcode “” in a page or post.
- Customize the text to say something other than “iTunes” by entering “Call to action” text in the widget, or use it in the shortcode “” in a page or post.
Hire me to help you podcast with success!
I’m available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theRamenNoodle
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast
- Beyond the To Do List
- Under the Dome Radio - Unofficial Fan Podcast for CBS Television's Summer Hit
- Welcome to Level Seven
- The Productive Woman
- Are You Just Watching?
- the Ramen Noodle
- Christian Meets World
- The Sci Phi Show
- Resurrection Revealed
- WONDERLAND - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links