Once you have your podcasting gear setup, it’s time to pick your live-streaming service and embed it on your website!
Make sure that you’ve listened to previous episodes in our live-streaming series.
- 5 Reasons, 4 Cautions
- How to Live-Stream Yourself While Podcasting
- How to Live-Stream and Record a Podcast with Others
Pick a live-streaming service
The follow is a list of the most-popular and some not-so-popular services for live-streaming video and audio.
If you have trouble with any of these in OS X Lion, then you have to add an “Allow” rule to Flash Player. Even after that, I still couldn’t get some of them to work, so your results may vary.
- Ustream.tv—The most popular, no customization controls for embed, optional chat room
- Justin.tv—Unobtrusive ads, low-quality sound
- Livestream.com—iframe embed for future mobile-friendliness
- Stickam.com—Customization controls for embed
- TinyChat.tv—very little customization, forces using their chat room
- Bambuser.com—streaming to Facebook, too
What do you think of these services? Have you used them as a live-streamer or as an attendee? Please share your reviews, or suggestions of other services to consider.
Embed the player on your site
I highly recommend that you have your own live page on your own website. Follow these instructions to make that with WordPress and embed your own player.
- Login to your WordPress admin with yourpodcast.com/wp-admin/
- Go to Pages > Add New.
- Name it “Live.”
- Switch to the HTML tab.
- Copy your embed code from the live-streaming site.
- Paste into the HTML tab.
- Save, preview, and publish!
“Hack” the embed code
Here’s some sample code from Ustream (with some things omitted). Change the bold stuff to adjust the size or auto-play behavior of your player.
<object classid=”clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000″ width=”480″ height=”296″><param name=”flashvars” value=”autoplay=false&brand=embed&v3=1″/><param name=”allowfullscreen” value=”true”/><param name=”allowscriptaccess” value=”always”/><param name=”movie” value=”http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf”/><embed flashvars=”autoplay=false&brand=embed&v3=1″ width=”480″ height=”296″ allowfullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” src=”http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” /></object><br />
<a href=”http://www.ustream.tv/” style=”padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;” target=”_blank”>Streaming by Ustream</a>
Most embed codes will include some link-back text at the end. You can remove this, as illustrated above.
Thank you for supporting us in the Podcast Awards!
You were awesome in supporting us in the Podcast Awards! It was a huge honor to be nominated and have several of our podcasts as finalists. Sadly, we didn’t win, but we are deeply grateful for the support you gave! Congratulations to all the winners!
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theRamenNoodle
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- Are You Just Watching?
- ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven
- The Productive Woman
- Beyond the To Do List
- the Ramen Noodle
- Christian Meets World
- The Sci Phi Show
- Resurrection Revealed
- Under the Dome Radio - Unofficial TV-show-fan podcast
- WONDERLAND - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links