Make your WordPress website load faster with simple, free ways. You may not even have to upgrade your web-hosting!
1. Use a caching plugin
Web hosts will nearly always recommend a good caching plugin as the first step toward making your site load faster and use fewer resources. This works by essentially storing a static version of a web page so that the server doesn't have to rebuild every element for every new visitor.
2. Remove features or plugins
You may have an embedded thing or a plugin you love, but it could be slowing down your website. Remove anything you're not actively using, and look for features that you don't need anymore.
3. Find better plugins
There are tens of thousands of WordPress plugins, but they're not all coded very well. Some will even slow down your website and cause other problems. Find better-supported and more-frequently updated plugins to do what you want. I recommend a few in my free download.
4. Remove images
It may seem great to have a lot of images on your site, but these could be slowing down your website. Consider removing what you don't really need, or consider ways to use CSS instead.
5. Optimize images
For the images you must keep, ensure that you're not wasting space and bandwidth with large files. Specifically, consider these three things that affect image size.
- Format—Use PNG for images with transparency or made up of mostly solid colors. Use JPEG for images with a wide variety of colors and texture.
- Size—You don't need to upload the 10 megapixel image your digital camera took. Use only the image size you need for the place you're using the image.
- Compression—JPEG format can be heavily compressed, but ensure that your compression doesn't reduce the visual quality of the image too much.
These could be handled with a plugin or desktop app. I share a few in this episode's free resource download.
6. Display stuff only where needed
You may not need social-sharing buttons on your front page, or maybe you don't need a contact form to display in the sidebar everywhere. Consider using tools or plugins to place reusable stuff only where you actually need them.
Try to make your homepage the fastest-loading page on your site.
7. Offload when possible
Processes like social-sharing, search indexing, related post connecting, and more can be offloaded to third-party servers for free or a small cost.
Thank you for the podcast reviews!
- Skimbatty from Canada said, “Common sense in podcasting. Daniel has a down to earth approach to producing a podcast. Very knowledgeable and easy to listen to. I particularly appreciate his emphasis on producing a podcast without spending a lot of money.” Read the full review on My Podcast Reviews.
- I'm taking pre-orders for my complete “SEO for Podcasters” course (releasing on January 6, 2015).
- I'll be taking a two-week break from podcasting. Thus, there will be no episodes on December 22 and 29.
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links