September was a big month for podcasting (and also seen as the 10-year anniversary). Here are the nine podcasting news items you should not have missed!
WordPress updated to 4.0
Most podcasters prefer to use WordPress to manage their website platform, and for many great reasons. On September 4, WordPress 4.0 was released. Don't expect a “major” update because of the jump from 3.x to 4.x. Instead, this is another incremental “0.1” update from 3.9 to 4.0.
Among many bug-fixes and security updates, here are the most notable four updates in WordPress 4.0.
- Scrolling page/post editor—The post content toolbar (for formatting, links, and more) now scrolls with you as you scroll down your content. This makes editing longer pages and posts much easier than before! No more double-scrolling nightmares!
- Multimedia embed preview—WordPress could already automatically embed certain media (like a YouTube video) simply by pasting the video URL into its own plain-text paragraph. WordPress 4.0 will now preview the embed in your editor, so you can see how the embed fits in with your content.
- Better plugin installation workflow—Picking the right plugins is much easier with WordPress 4.0. You can now see more information when you search and view the details of a plugin. No more visiting WordPress.org to get the details!
- Easier media library management—WordPress 4.0 replaced the list view of media with a more attractive grid view and better media details editing.
Podcast Awards purchased by New Media Expo (NMX)
Todd Cochrane has single-handedly managed the International Podcast Awards for nine years—and he has done a great job! Now, he's passing it on to New Media Expo (NMX). This is a great move for the Podcast Awards, as it means they will get a lot more attention from traditional media personalities already attending National Association of Broadcasters (NAB).
iOS 8 and iPhone 6 launched with Podcasts app preinstalled
Apple's larger iPhones—the 6 and 6 Plus—launched and iOS 8 became available for all iOS devices released within the last few years. The biggest change this brings to podcasting is that Apple now includes the Podcasts app for iOS as a default, preinstalled, and unremovable app. It will show up on all new iOS 8 devices, as well as be added to any device updated to iOS 8.
This will make podcasts more prominent and accessible to 500+ million iOS users. If nothing else, this will help users become more familiar and at least curious with podcasts.
Edison Research showed “podcasting is bigger than you think”
Consumer listening habits have shown that, from a sample group, podcast consumption may represent only about 1.7% of all audio consumption. But Edison Research studied this a lot more and discovered that it's actually 5% of people who regularly consume podcasts. And of that 5%, podcast consumption is about to overtake AM/FM radio. Edison Research also found that podcast-consumers often listen to even more information content on a daily basis than non-podcast-consumers.
Watch this 5-minute webinar that explains this in more detail.
Apple raised the podcast cover art specifications for iTunes
Coinciding with the launch of iOS 8 and iPhone 6, Apple has raised the cover art specifications for podcasts in iTunes.
In short (listen to more about podcast cover art), cover art must now be a minimum of 1,400 × 1,400 and a maximum of 2,048 × 2,048. JPEG and PNG are still accepted, but either can only be in the RGB color space (which makes sense, because I've seen problems with CMYK and other color spaces).
My Podcast Reviews affiliate program launched
You can now make recurring income from the just-launched My Podcast Reviews affiliate program. This allows you to generate your own affiliate URL (or use the provided banners) and refer people to a free or premium subscription plan. You can earn up to 20% of your referrals' regular subscription fees.
I can't mention My Podcast Reviews without also teasing that Stitcher integration is launching this week!
National/International Podcast Day
This first event was called “National Podcast Day,” but the organizers (I'm one of them) decided that it will now be known as International Podcast Day. Future events will include the global audience much more.
Nicely timed for International Podcast Day, Audacity released version 2.0.6. This contains several small tweaks and bug fixes. If you like customizing your own keyboard shortcuts, 2.0.6 will be a godsend for you, as that interface is now easier and searchable.
Dave Jackson named NMX's director of podcasting
I think Dave is the perfect guy for this role. He knows the podcasting space really well (he's among the original podcasters), has great authority in the space, and he'll do a great job of ensuring a balanced and thorough mix of content for podcasters at NMX.
- Send your questions for me to ask John Lee Dumas from Entrepreneur on Fire in my upcoming 200th episode!
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links