How ethical are your podcast promotion, profit, promises, and pride? This is a free-flowing episode where I share my genuine thoughts on these issues, after being an “innocent accomplice” to unethical Twitter-bombing.
4 areas of podcasting ethics
This is the big one. How ethically are you promoting your own podcast?
Twitter bombing is getting a lot of attention lately. This is when someone uses one or multiple Twitter accounts to blast the same message every few minutes to hundreds of times per hour. This artificially inflates podcast download stats because most of the “downloads” are from bots who humans who don't actually listen.
Check out these great articles and podcast episodes about Twitter bombing.
- “TWITTER BOMBING WORKED! (to stroke my ego” by Bryan Orr)
- “Twitter Bombing: What Is It – Is It Harmful – Does it Work” with Dave Jackson and Bryan Orr (host of Wow Small Business podcast)
- Rob Walch and Elsie Escobar talked about Twitter-bombing in The Feed
Are you promoting things only because you'll profit from them? Do you disclose when you're using affiliate links?
When you make a promise, keep it!
This can be difficult when other people have unreasonable expectations on you or how you do things. You don't have to stress over these if you didn't promise them.
Don't make yourself out to be bigger than you actually are. Dave Jackson has some accurate thoughts on this.
Thank you for the podcast reviews!
- podcasthero said, “The Audacity to Podcast has to be the most detail oriented shows about podcasting. …” Read the full review.
- Alex Mansour from Brazil said, “The best podcast ever!!!”
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links