Make your voice or music sound crazy with these special effects that you can apply post-process (after recording) or in real-time with a mixer.
Happy April Fool's Day!
I was wondering if you can recommend a piece of hardware or software to warp voices. I would like to do some comedy “pretend interviews” for my podcast and I have no idea where to start. …
I'm not really looking to impersonate a specific voice. I want to do some satire. An interview with a pro-wrestler about self-defense. An overzealous gun shop salesman. Something that makes my voice still sound human, just not like my voice. It doesn't have to be perfect, people will know it's humor. I just recently purchased a Behringer 2442FX if that helps with anything.
Special effects in Audacity
Included under the Effects menu
- Wah Wah
- Change speed
- Change pitch
- Change tempo
- Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift
Extra plugins and program
- After you install an extra plugins, you can use it in Audacity. Try Turntable Warping MS
- Extra program PaulStretch for Windows or binary for OS X for this effect:
Real-time effects with a mixer
- Reverb: Hall, Room, Plate, Gated, Reverse
- Ambience/Delay: Early Reflections, Ambience, Delay, Echo
- Modulation: Chorus, Flanger, Phaser
- Detune/Pitch: Detune, Pitch shifter
- Combination effects: Delay + reverb, Chorus + reverb
Here are a variety of smaller mixers with similar effects processing.
- Behringer Xenyx 1002FX—$89.99 Amazon.com, Musician's Friend, Music123
- Behringer Xenyx 1202FX—$108.99 Amazon.com, Musician's Friend
- Behringer Xenyx X1204USB (like my previous four-channel mixer)—$167.99 Amazon.com, $196.99 Musician's Friend
- Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX—$141.55 Amazon.com, Musician's Friend
- Mackie PROFX8—$229.99 Amazon.com, Musician's Friend
- Almost any mixer with “FX” in the name, or higher-end Behringer mixers beginning with “X” in the model number (like my X1832USB)
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links