Make your voice or music sound crazy with these special effects that you can apply post-process (after recording) or in real-time with a mixer.
Happy April Fool's Day!
I was wondering if you can recommend a piece of hardware or software to warp voices. I would like to do some comedy “pretend interviews” for my podcast and I have no idea where to start. …
I'm not really looking to impersonate a specific voice. I want to do some satire. An interview with a pro-wrestler about self-defense. An overzealous gun shop salesman. Something that makes my voice still sound human, just not like my voice. It doesn't have to be perfect, people will know it's humor. I just recently purchased a Behringer 2442FX if that helps with anything.
Special effects in Audacity
Included under the Effects menu
- Wah Wah
- Change speed
- Change pitch
- Change tempo
- Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift
Extra plugins and program
- After you install an extra plugins, you can use it in Audacity. Try Turntable Warping MS
- Extra program PaulStretch for Windows or binary for OS X for this effect:
Real-time effects with a mixer
- Reverb: Hall, Room, Plate, Gated, Reverse
- Ambience/Delay: Early Reflections, Ambience, Delay, Echo
- Modulation: Chorus, Flanger, Phaser
- Detune/Pitch: Detune, Pitch shifter
- Combination effects: Delay + reverb, Chorus + reverb
Here are a variety of smaller mixers with similar effects processing.
- Behringer Xenyx 1002FX—$89.99 Amazon.com, Musician's Friend, Music123
- Behringer Xenyx 1202FX—$108.99 Amazon.com, Musician's Friend
- Behringer Xenyx X1204USB (like my previous four-channel mixer)—$167.99 Amazon.com, $196.99 Musician's Friend
- Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX—$141.55 Amazon.com, Musician's Friend
- Mackie PROFX8—$229.99 Amazon.com, Musician's Friend
- Almost any mixer with “FX” in the name, or higher-end Behringer mixers beginning with “X” in the model number (like my X1832USB)
Need personalized podcasting help?
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Leave a voicemail at (903) 231-2221
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Connect with me
- Subscribe to The Audacity to Podcast on Apple Podcasts or on Android.
- Join the Facebook Page and watch live podcasting Q&A on Mondays at 2pm (ET)
- Subscribe on YouTube for video reviews, Q&A, and more
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship and may receive compensation from your actions through such links. However, I don't let that corrupt my perspective and I don't recommend only affiliates.