Stever Robbins, host of the Get It Done Guy's Quick & Dirty Tips to Work Less and Do More, and author of Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More, shares his tips to help us podcast more and better by being more productive.
Stever's favorite tools
For more about his tools, visit Stever's recording setup page.
Productivity tips for podcasters
- Separate your tasks (writing, recording, editing)
- Make it a habit (schedule nonnegotiable time to work on your episodes)
- Decide how much of a priority this is
- block it off and make a commitment
- Decide the outcome you want
- Examine the purpose, and if it's not meeting that purpose, then stop
How to avoid procrastination
- Use a calendar
- Call your enemy and offer to pay them $1,000 if you don't accomplish your task
- Ask someone else to keep you accountable by asking whether you have completed your tasks
- Don't rely on just willpower
Answers to your questions
What is the first step for an organization or time management newbie? [Erik J. Fisher]
Why do you want to get organized? Figure out a system that works for you.
Look at what appears in your task backlog and schedule it or find someone else to do it for you
My boss is remote, as in other side of the world, and so there are cultural differences and no face-to-face contact. How do you recommend that I manage the demands of the job, when I am feeling overwhelmed by tasks and deadlines assigned remotely? [Fred from Long Island]
Don't let someone assign tasks without your formally accepting the task. Still get a face-to-face through Skype, at least voice communication. Look at current task list and determine what needs to be dropped to handle the new task or change quality requirements. Put this in writing. This applies to podcasting, too. If you host too many podcasts at the same time, you could be sacrificing the quality of each and splitting your audience (if both shows are in the same niche).
Follow Stever Robbins
- Visit Stever's website
- Listen to his podcast Get It Done Guy's Quick & Dirty Tips to Work Less and Do More
- Buy his book Get-It-Done Guy's 9 Steps to Work Less and Do More
- Follow @GetItDoneGuy
Need personalized podcasting help?
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Leave a voicemail at (903) 231-2221
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Connect with me
- Subscribe to The Audacity to Podcast on Apple Podcasts or on Android.
- Join the Facebook Page and watch live podcasting Q&A on Mondays at 2pm (ET)
- Subscribe on YouTube for video reviews, Q&A, and more
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship and may receive compensation from your actions through such links. However, I don't let that corrupt my perspective and I don't recommend only affiliates.