Rob Greenlee (formerly) from Zune tells us that the Zune Marketplace isn't dead, and we talk about the future of Zune and podcasting in general.
UPDATE: Zune, as a brand, is now gone. But much of this information is still relevant, and the email address to get into the catalog has been updated to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is Zune Marketplace dead?
Nanny Jenny from NannyCast responded to “Top Podcasting Directories and How to Get in Them.” She reports that Microsoft is killing Zune [possibly via The Verge].
This is an easily misunderstood news item. Microsoft has not made any announcements and the “news” is only conjecture based on observations. However, while “Zune” as a brand may disappear, it's unlikely that Microsoft would completely wipe the podcast directory to start over.
This is where Rob Greenlee from Zune comes in. He's a successful podcaster, podcast producer, and business manager for the Zune Podcasts Marketplace. We talk about Zune's existence in the Microsoft brand and some important feed information for podcasters.
Where is Zune going?
Zune was the #2 portable media player for a while.
Zune is more than a portable media device. Zune is now a platform strongly backed by the growing Windows Phone.
Microsoft is evolving Zune.
Zune Marketplace is already integrated with Windows 7, but we can't disclose its future with Windows 8.
Zune.net hosts the full podcast catalog for the Zune software.
Zune software runs on Windows and is like Microsoft's own “iTunes.” It's like a premium Windows Media Player. Download free from Zune.net.
Getting in the Zune podcast directory is easy
There are three ways you can submit your podcast to the Zune podcast directory.
- Email your RSS feed to email@example.com for someone to add your podcast and reply with confirmation.
Submit online at Zune.net. Submit through the Zune software.
Zune podcast directory actually pulls data from the iTunes tags first. So make sure you properly add ID3 tags!
If you need to change anything about your podcast (like the overall cover art) in the Zune podcast directory, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can generate your own ‘deep links” for Zune software users. But there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the “Zune Marketplace” and “Zune Social” links. Perhaps exclusive functionality for Zune users.
Rob's perspective on podcasting's future
Podcasting will become more accessible for more people in more locations. GM recently announced Stitcher would be integrated into future car systems. Other car audio systems have offered USB plugs or auxiliary audio inputs.
Audio podcasting will always be around, especially for car listening, just like we're used to AM and FM radio.
Video podcasting is moving toward more large screens, like distribution on set-top boxes and console gaming devices.
Rob doesn't think all podcasters have to move into video. It's often quite unnecessary. There are advantages, like deeper engagement with an audience. But video also takes a lot more time to produce.
What podcasting formats are best for audio or video?
M4V H.264 baseline platform works on Zune as well as Apple and many other devices and platforms.
M4A is a bad direction to go for audio. If you're producing audio podcasts, stick with MP3.
Rob's podcasting setup
- Mackie 802-VLZ3 mixer ($200).
- Shure SM7B ($349) mics—Rob says you can't go wrong with a Shure microphone.
- Sony Creative Sound Forge ($324 on Amazon.com) for editing
- Levelator (free)—Rob's favorite tool in his entire podcasting workflow.
- Records straight into computer via USB interface from the mixer.
Podcasting tips from Rob
Watch your podcasting environment. Don't be around noise.
Record into a digital recorder if you can, otherwise, be aware of the power of your computer system.
Make sure your volume is even between podcast hosts.
Follow Rob Greenlee
- Rob is a frequent guest on The Morning Tech Show with Todd Cochrane
- Rob produces The Weekly Download for Zune.
- On Twitter: Follow @RobGreenlee
- Rob's personal website with podcasting and media thoughts
- WebTalk World Radio
- Email email@example.com with any questions
I'm speaking in the Podcasting 101 track at BlogWorld NYC!
Please join me at BlogWorld in New York City on June 5–7. I'll be one of the panelists in the Podcasting 101 track and presenting on the last day of the conference.
New podcasting poll: Is your podcast in the Zune Marketplace?[poll id=”5″]
Ask your podcasting legal questions for upcoming guest
I'm very pleased to say that Gordon Firemark will be joining us for a few future episodes. He is an entertainment and new media Lawyer, and the author of the Podcast, Blog, and New Media Producers Legal Survival Guide. He also hosts the Entertainment Law Update podcast.
So send me your legal questions to ask Gordon in upcoming episodes.
- Release forms
Please retweet this post!
Use the social buttons or retweet the following.
— Daniel J. Lewis (@theRamenNoodle) March 26, 2012
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links