Is FeedBurner still relevant and useful to bloggers and podcasters? I share 8 things FeedBurner can do, and 8 things it can't or shouldn't do, and let you decide based on your needs.
FeedBurner is for those who don't know everything
There are better ways to do everything that FeedBurner can do. But these better ways require more knowledge and sometimes money. If you can't invest either of these in the beginning, then FeedBurner may be right for you.
For everyone else, it comes down to how much knowledge you have to take total control of your feed.
8 things FeedBurner can do
- Keep your feed portable/protected
- Estimate subscription stats
- Enable email subscriptions
- Keep your feed online during a website crash
- Change/override information in your feed
- Add Google AdSense
- Make a web-app-friendly feed
- Integrate with Google Analytics
8 things FeedBurner can't/shouldn't do
- Create a podcast feed with “SmartCast”
- Measure accurate download stats
- Implement 301-redirects or “new-feed-url”
- Correct some mistakes
- Fix feed problems
- Optimize your RSS feed
- Keep your feed immediately updated
- Maintain branding
If you want total control, don't use FeedBurner
FeedBurner fills a gap, but you can fill that gap better with more knowledge or hiring someone (like me) to set it up optimally for you.
Podcasting poll: Do you use FeedBurner?
More helpful posts about FeedBurner's relevance
- FeedBurner vs. PowerPress, from Dave Jackson of School of Podcasting.
- Upcoming episode from Ray Ortega of The Podcasters Studio.
Please retweet this!
— Daniel J. Lewis (@theDanielJLewis) July 23, 2012
Join the podcast live on Mondays
Please join me when I record The Audacity to Podcast live every Monday at 2 p.m. (EDT/GMT -[4:00]).
Need personalized podcasting help?
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Leave a voicemail at (903) 231-2221
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Connect with me
- Subscribe to The Audacity to Podcast on Apple Podcasts or on Android.
- Join the Facebook Page and watch live podcasting Q&A on Mondays at 2pm (ET)
- Subscribe on YouTube for video reviews, Q&A, and more
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship and may receive compensation from your actions through such links. However, I don't let that corrupt my perspective and I don't recommend only affiliates.