I take some time to answer questions on Audacity and podcasting.
Inspired to podcast again
Don’t wait until the planets align to start podcasting again! Just jump in, but try not to make it a huge ocean, which will just sweep you back on shore.
How to change the “author” in iTunes
You can’t just change the individual MP3s to have the correct author displayed in iTunes, you also have to change the RSS/XML information. This is easy if you use Feedburner.
- Go into your Feedburner settings.
- Click your podcast’s feed.
- Switch to the Optimize tab and then click SmartCast.
- If SmartCast is activated, you’ll be able to change your podcast author field to your desired name (your real name, your company, your podcast network, or whatever!).
Which visualization in Audacity? Waveform or Waveform (dB)?
Both visualization methods are handy depending on what you’re doing. Waveform shows you the shape of your audio, not necessarily its volume. Waveform (dB) shows your audio’s volume, which is great for seeing how much noise you’re recorded while you’re not speaking, but it can be harder for editing.
Mono or stereo for voice-only podcast?
Unless you have a really good reason to release your podcasts in stereo (such as special effects, audio drama, music or sound clips), then mono will always be half the size (taking up less hosting space and bandwidth) and thus download twice as fast.
How can you get cover art to display on iPods (or other players)?
Having your podcast cover art in iTunes or your RSS feed is not enough, you also need to add it to each released episode by inserting it in the ID3 tags. Although iTunes can do this, it saves tags in an different, not-so-compatible version (ID3v2.2). You can use MP3tag (free, Windows-only) or ID3 Editor ($15, Windows or Mac) to easily insert your cover art into each file. I recommend 600×600 pixels, but 300×300 is also okay. If you need great-looking cover art, please contact me because I’m a designer!
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theRamenNoodle
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- Welcome to Level Seven
- Resurrection Revealed
- Under the Dome Radio - Unofficial TV-show-fan podcast
- the Ramen Noodle
- The Sci Phi Show
- Christian Meets World
- Beyond the To Do List
- Are You Just Watching?
- WONDERLAND - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links