The Audacity to Podcast may earn commissions from qualifying purchases through our links on this page. But we recommend products we truly believe in, regardless of earnings.
This is the mic to start with if you’re on a budget. It’s even great to get an extra for mobile use!
The ATR2100x-USB is a dynamic, cardioid microphone that can connect directly to your computer via USB. It can also (and simultaneously) connect to professional audio equipment via XLR.
Here are some of the standout features of the ATR2100x-USB:
- Strong output signal: loud enough so you don't have to push the gain so much (about 13 dB louder than the previous non-X version)
- Zero-latency, full-volume headphone monitoring: your own voice won't sound robotic and you'll hear yourself no matter how you adjust volume on your USB device
- USB-C connectivity: an easier-to-use and future-friendly USB-C port, letting you connect to computers, tablets, and smartphones (with adapter, if necessary)
- Affordable price: usually around $79 (USD) and sometimes drops as low as $59
- Lifetime warranty: better than all the competitors!