What you’ve heard about iTunes’s auto “unsubscribing” and pingPodcast is probably wrong. Hear some truth plus two new launches for podcasters.
iTunes’s automatic “unsubscribing”
It’s an often-taught misconception that iTunes will automatically unsubscribe people from a podcast if they don’t listen to recently downloaded episodes. The truth is that, although they will not show up in any of your stats as a downloader or subscriber, their subscription is only paused until they listen to an episode or tell iTunes to resume updating the podcast.
Apple drops pingPodcast from iTunes directory
“pingPodcast” is a method for updating your podcast listing in the iTunes Store podcast directory. pingPodcast has nothing to do with how your subscribers receive your episodes. When someone subscribes to your podcast via iTunes, they are directly connected to your RSS feed and only have to rely on their iTunes software’s settings for how often it checks that feed for new episodes (the default is once daily).
More more information, read “Apple Drops iTunes Podcast Directory Update Listing/Ping (pingPodcast) Function” by Angelo Mandato and “Apple removes Ping Feature Podcasters Need from iTunes!” by Todd Cochrane.
For a laugh, here’s that actual response I received from Gary, iTunes Store Senior Advisor.
… Ping feature has been subsumed by Advanced in the self-calibrating RSS reader.
Blubrry PowerPress 2.0
PowerPress is the best podcasting plugin for WordPress, and it just got better with PowerPress 2.0! It’s best feature are HTML5 video and audio players, options for listeners to embed your episode on their site, and enhanced episode entry. Read the PowerPress 2.0 announcement for more information.
Podcast Perspective is a new podcast about podcasting
Steve Riekeberg comes from an audio-production background, so I look forward to what he’ll share in his just-launched Podcast Perspective (maybe I’m sharing this prematurely).
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- WONDERLAND: Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
- Resurrection Revealed: Resurrection podcast
- Under the Dome Radio: Under the Dome podcast
- The Sci-Phi Show: Science-fiction and philosophy
- Christian Meets World: Christian worldview and the everyday
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links