It’s now possible and easy for you to upgrade your podcast website to support an HTML5 audio/video player, but not leave Flash Player behind.
Adobe Flash Player solved many problems
Websites and media are maturing faster than web browsers and web standards. So in order to support the vast amount of media appearing online, sites had to rely on third-party technologies like Adobe Flash Player or Microsoft Silverlight. Without these plugins, the web browsers wouldn’t be able to directly (or “natively”) play these media files. But this was mostly all right because Adobe Flash Player was almost ubiquitous on all computers.
A “new” problem: iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads (iOS)
Because Apple mobile devices (based on iOS) do not run Adobe Flash Player, this meant that the “whole Internet” that Apple wanted you to experience did not include all of the prominent interactive and media-rich content. Apple’s mobile devices (iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads) do not support Flash, so any website media, such as audio or video, would not play on these devices.
The popular solution: HTML5
Although not a set standard yet, Apple has embraced HTML5 and has been pushing (or maybe even forcing) others to conform—in fact, they prefer their own proprietary standards (H.264 and AAC).
However, HTML5 presents wonderful opportunities in that it presents a media-rich experience without requiring website visitors to install plugins to make it work.
Blubrry PowerPress 2.0 supports Flash and HTML5!
I’ve previously praised Blubrry PowerPress and version 2.0 brings a load of new features. Most notable is that you can now select an HTML audio and video player, which will fallback to FlowPlayer Classic for Flash on browsers that don’t support HTML5 media.
Read the PowerPress 2.0 announcement for more information.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- WONDERLAND: Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
- Resurrection Revealed: Resurrection podcast
- Under the Dome Radio: Under the Dome podcast
- The Sci-Phi Show: Science-fiction and philosophy
- Christian Meets World: Christian worldview and the everyday
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links