Is your blog or podcast ready for Google's new algorithm? Should you update to Audacity 2.0? What the new iPad means for podcasters. Becoming mobile-friendly.
Is your blog or podcast ready for Google's new algorithm?
- Break from the old keyword mentality, embrace synonyms
- Build up your FAQ page
- Don’t sell, educate
Should you update to Audacity 2.0?
After excitedly announcing the release of Audacity 2.0, I also upgraded myself. But I've started discovering some problems and repeatable errors.
- Dragging more than four WAV files into Audacity 2.0 has consistently crashed it.
- Exporting and attempting to overwrite an existing file returns a blank error message in some circumstances, like exporting the selected top track. Other tracks are fine.
- Lower stability on a large (70+ minutes) project.
What the new iPad means for podcasters
Apple started a trend of making high-resolution portable devices. These all have high pixel densities (measured in pixels per inch (PPI)). Since 2010, more devices are upgrading to high-resolution screens.
- iPhone 4 and 4s
- Galaxy Nexus and several other Android-powered smartphones
- third-generation iPad
- Several Android-powered tablets
- Upcoming Kindle devices?
This high resolution means your podcast cover art will not look as good if it's 300×300 pixels. Even though we've been pushing 600×600, perhaps you should consider larger, like 1,200 x 1,200 or 2,048 x 2,048.
Making the resolution too high will result in larger files, which you won't want. But certainly move up from 300 x 300.
Since I got my own first iPad, I'm able to test more live-streaming solutions to ensure mobile-viewers can enjoy the content on their devices. So far, I've only seen three services work well on mobile:
New podcasting poll: do you browse on mobile?
Ask your podcasting legal questions for upcoming guest
I'm very pleased to say that Gordon Firemark will be joining us for a few future episodes. He is an entertainment and new media Lawyer, and the author of the Podcast, Blog, and New Media Producers Legal Survival Guide. He also hosts the Entertainment Law Update podcast.
So send me your legal questions to ask Gordon in upcoming episodes.
- Release forms
Please retweet this post!
Use the social buttons or retweet the following.
— Daniel J. Lewis (@theDanielJLewis) March 19, 2012
Need personalized podcasting help?
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Leave a voicemail at (903) 231-2221
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Connect with me
- Subscribe to The Audacity to Podcast on Apple Podcasts or on Android.
- Join the Facebook Page and watch live podcasting Q&A on Mondays at 2pm (ET)
- Subscribe on YouTube for video reviews, Q&A, and more
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship and may receive compensation from your actions through such links. However, I don't let that corrupt my perspective and I don't recommend only affiliates.