Continuing the series of how to live-stream your podcast while recording, we’ll look at how to do it when you’re flying solo.
Be sure to listen to the last episode on five reasons for living streaming and four cautions.
As I write and speak, I’ll use the term “PC” in reference to both of the major personal computers (PCs): OS X and Windows. While the same principles mostly apply to Linux, most of the software may not be available or have suitable alternatives for Linux.
Is it really “live-podcasting”?
In the meantime, I think “live-streaming” is more accurate.
Recommended equipment—think about your future
You could be a small, single-host, single-show podcaster right now, but will you be the same in just one year? Choose equipment that is affordable but can grow with you.
I’ve previously talked about the bare minimums for podcasting, but here’s what I recommend if you’re just starting out.
- Mixer: Behringer XENYX502 5-Channel Mixer ($36 Amazon.com, $40 Musician’s Friend) or Behringer XENYX 302USB (coming soon!)
- Dynamic mic, stand, and XLR cable: Nady stage microphone with accessories ($25 Amazon.com, $30 Musician’s Friend)
- Pop filter: $10–$20 from Amazon.com or Musician’s Friend
Record and live-stream from the same PC
If you’re already recording into your computer, then it’s no extra step to broadcast that to the Internet through live-streaming.
You most likely have at least one PC. If you won’t be live-mixing in your sounds, then this is the simplest setup.
- Mic into your streaming/recording PC
Sounds and one PC
Adding sounds (music, sound effects, bumpers, voicemail, etc.) adds complexity, but it’s still possible with just a single PC and no mixer.
- Loop back
- PodProducer (free, Windows) or UberCaster (free?, OS X) to record
- “Output capture”
Mixer, sounds, and one PC
If you can afford to add a mixer and your microphone can plug into it, then here’s your easiest and most reliable setup.
- Connect your mic and PC (for sounds) to separate channels on your mixer.
- Connect the mixer’s output back to your PC.
- Change the default output device for your sounds PC to however you connected the mixer.
- Ensure that the appropriate input device is selected to capture the sound from the mixer.
Easy to add a recorder
If you decide to purchase an external recorder, then it’s easy to record everything right before it broadcasts from your PC.
- Plug your final “output” into your external recorder’s Line In.
- Turn on the recorder’s monitoring option (on most recorders) and run a lin from the headphones to your streaming computer.
Feedback: Easy versioning with Audacity
Bob Boufford suggested using “Save As…” for easy versioning of Audacity projects.
Should you upgrade to OS X Lion?
That depends on what software you use! Audacity 1.3.13 seems fully compatible, but I’ve already had unresolvable and reproducible problems with Ambrosia Soundboard. Cam Twist 2.1 didn’t work, but there was an update to 2.2 on their website.
We need your help in the 2015 Podcast Awards!
Please nominate our shows in the Podcast Awards! It's fast and easy. You would be awesome to help us, as you and others have been awesome before.
- Visit podcastawards.com
- Under Peoples Choice, add Resurrection Revealed http://ResurrectionRevealed.com/
- Under Best Produced, add ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast http://ONCEpodcast.com/
- Under Business, add Beyond the To-Do List http://BeyondtheToDoList.com/
- Under Comedy, add the Ramen Noodle clean comedy http://CleanComedyPodcast.com/
- Under Entertainment, add Welcome to Level Seven http://WelcometoLevelSeven.com/
- Under General, add The Productive Woman http://TheProductiveWoman.com/
- Under Religion Inspiration, add Are You Just Watching? http://AreYouJustWatching.com/
- Under Technology, add The Audacity to Podcast http://TheAudacitytoPodcast.com/
- Enter your name and email address
- Choose whether you're a listener, podcaster, or both
- Click Submit
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theRamenNoodle
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- Welcome to Level Seven
- ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast
- The Productive Woman
- Resurrection Revealed
- The Sci Phi Show
- Christian Meets World
- Are You Just Watching?
- Beyond the To Do List
- the Ramen Noodle
- Under the Dome Radio - Unofficial TV-show-fan podcast
- WONDERLAND - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links