Learn three easy Audacity tips for making your voice sound better, regardless of what microphone you use.
Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Don’t worry, I didn’t record the whole podcast in a pirate voice.
Get close to your microphone
Even if you use a cheap or built-in mic for your podcast, you’ll get a better sound if you can be 2–3 inches away from it. You may have to reduce your input volume when you do this.
Being closer will reduce the room reverb, reduce noise, and capture more of your voice.
Equalization increases or decreases the volume of certain frequencies of sound.
Use the EMI 78 present in Effects > Equalization to easily enhance the quality from a cheap microphone. If you’re missing this setting, download “‘record’ EQ settings” and follow these directions to install.
Compression essentially evens out the volume of your audio. I recommend Chris’s Dynamic Compressor. The exact settings for your audio will vary, but I’ve found that these settings work quite well on most recordings.
- Compression ratio: 0.8
- Compression hardness: around 0.8
- Floor: -18.0 to -32.0
- Noise gate falloff: 4.0
- Maximum amplitude: 0.99 (default)
Normalization’s most popular use is to increase or decrease your audio so that the loudest point is at a certain level. I recommend -1dB.
Get podcasting and Audacity tips by email
I now offer a free email newsletter for podcasting tips and Audacity tips. From the same sign-up form, you can also receive email from our other podcasts.
We need your help in the 2015 Podcast Awards!
Please nominate our shows in the Podcast Awards! It's fast and easy. You would be awesome to help us, as you and others have been awesome before.
- Visit podcastawards.com
- Under Peoples Choice, add Resurrection Revealed http://ResurrectionRevealed.com/
- Under Best Produced, add ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast http://ONCEpodcast.com/
- Under Business, add Beyond the To-Do List http://BeyondtheToDoList.com/
- Under Comedy, add the Ramen Noodle clean comedy http://CleanComedyPodcast.com/
- Under Entertainment, add Welcome to Level Seven http://WelcometoLevelSeven.com/
- Under General, add The Productive Woman http://TheProductiveWoman.com/
- Under Religion Inspiration, add Are You Just Watching? http://AreYouJustWatching.com/
- Under Technology, add The Audacity to Podcast http://TheAudacitytoPodcast.com/
- Enter your name and email address
- Choose whether you're a listener, podcaster, or both
- Click Submit
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theRamenNoodle
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast
- Resurrection Revealed
- The Sci Phi Show
- Christian Meets World
- The Productive Woman
- Are You Just Watching?
- Beyond the To Do List
- the Ramen Noodle
- Under the Dome Radio - Unofficial TV-show-fan podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven
- WONDERLAND - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links