Learn three easy Audacity tips for making your voice sound better, regardless of what microphone you use.
Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Don’t worry, I didn’t record the whole podcast in a pirate voice.
Get close to your microphone
Even if you use a cheap or built-in mic for your podcast, you’ll get a better sound if you can be 2–3 inches away from it. You may have to reduce your input volume when you do this.
Being closer will reduce the room reverb, reduce noise, and capture more of your voice.
Equalization increases or decreases the volume of certain frequencies of sound.
Use the EMI 78 present in Effects > Equalization to easily enhance the quality from a cheap microphone. If you’re missing this setting, download “‘record’ EQ settings” and follow these directions to install.
Compression essentially evens out the volume of your audio. I recommend Chris’s Dynamic Compressor. The exact settings for your audio will vary, but I’ve found that these settings work quite well on most recordings.
- Compression ratio: 0.8
- Compression hardness: around 0.8
- Floor: -18.0 to -32.0
- Noise gate falloff: 4.0
- Maximum amplitude: 0.99 (default)
Normalization’s most popular use is to increase or decrease your audio so that the loudest point is at a certain level. I recommend -1dB.
Get podcasting and Audacity tips by email
I now offer a free email newsletter for podcasting tips and Audacity tips. From the same sign-up form, you can also receive email from our other podcasts.
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links