Learn how to setup Blubrry‘s PowerPress plugin for WordPress, including feed and iTunes settings, category podcasting, channels, and how to attach podcast episodes.
UPDATE: Although PowerPress is now to version 5 and it contains several changes, the following still mostly applies to the Advanced setup mode.
- Download PowerPress from WordPress for “manual” installation, or
- Go to Plugins > Add New > and search for “PowerPress.”
Setup PowerPress for podcasting
- Configure each of the tabs under PowerPress > Settings:
- Basic Settings for how you’ll attach episodes to posts.
- Services & Stats for adding a media redirect for statistics (including using Blubrry’s great free or premium stats).
- Media Appearance for how podcast episodes will appear on your page. I recommend above content and in the excerpts.
- Feeds to get and adjust your podcast-only feed, including setting the item limit (separate from WordPress’s limit) and RSS2 image (144 × 144 edition of your podcast cover art).
- iTunes for configuring your feed for iTunes. This can be used, and is recommended, instead of Feedburner’s SmartCast feature. But if you still use SmartCast, its settings will override PowerPress’s. Make sure you include an iTunes image (
600 × 6001,400 × 1,400 edition of your podcast cover art).
- T.V. for settting your content rating.
- If you release the same podcast content in multiple formats (like audio and video or several video formats), enable Custom Podcast Channels and configure it just like your normal podcast feed.
- If you publish multiple podcasts (separate shows, not episodes) on the same site under different categories, enable Category Podcasting and configure it just like your normal podcast feed for each category.
- Go your Audio Player Settings (and video, if you have a video podcast) and switch to the HTML5 player. Upload a new play button if you want.
Upload your media
Write your shownotes
Make sure you write great podcast shownotes!
Attach your podcast episode
If you configured your “Default Media URL” under PowerPress > Settings > Basic Settings > Advanced Episode Entry Settings, then just enter the filename of your episode under the “Podcast Episode” widget of your post editor.
If you don’t have a “Default Media URL,” then paste the full URL to your media file.
Click the Verify button.
Repeat this process for any additional channels.
When you have all your shownotes written, media attached, and appropriate categories and tags, hit publish.
Your podcast is now online and in your RSS feed!
Ask your podcasting legal questions for upcoming guest
I’m very pleased to say that Gordon Firemark will be joining us for a few future episodes. He is an entertainment and new media Lawyer, and the author of the Podcast, Blog, and New Media Producers Legal Survival Guide. He also hosts the Entertainment Law Update podcast.
So send me your legal questions to ask Gordon in upcoming episodes.
- Release forms
Please retweet this post!
Use the social buttons or retweet the following.
— Daniel J. Lewis (@theRamenNoodle) March 12, 2012
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theRamenNoodle
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast
- Resurrection Revealed
- The Productive Woman
- Welcome to Level Seven
- Under the Dome Radio - Unofficial TV-show-fan podcast
- the Ramen Noodle
- The Sci Phi Show
- Christian Meets World
- Beyond the To Do List
- Are You Just Watching?
- WONDERLAND - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links