We’ve all had days where we just didn’t feel ready to write or speak. Here are ten tips for how to blog or podcast when you don’t feel like it.
Most of the reason we feel like skipping is because we are focusing on something else. It could be technical problems, relationship issues, unmet expectations, or any other number of legitimate and maybe even important distractions.
Without focus, you’ll never get any good quality out.
Here are some quick tips to help you refocus.
- Step away for a moment
- Take a walk
- Deal with the distraction
- Dump your thoughts into writing
- Make a task list for addressing the distraction later
- Try a short, complete distraction
2. Go back to your list of ideas
You do have a list of ideas, right? If you don’t have one, make one now!
Look at your list and pick something you can address at this time. Some ideas may require a lot more preparation than you can afford, so you could either split it up or try a different idea.
3. Don’t try to do as much
It’s okay to have a shorter-than-normal episode if that’s all you can put out at this time. As long as it’s still quality content, the length doesn’t matter.
It’s a greater “podcasting sin” to force your episode to be too long when you only have enough content for a short episode.
4. Cover recent news
There’s almost always something going on in every industry. Find a new story to report and give your perspective.
5. Answer questions
Check forums, communities, and other online groups for questions that you can answer with your podcast. These can sometimes be your greatest content because usually more than one person has that same question, and you can create a timeless resource to share.
6. Curate and comment on others’ content
Look at others in your niche. Represent what they say, don’t duplicate it. You could consider sharing a list of what others have been saying and add your own opinions.
7. Ask for ideas and use feedback
If you have time, ask your followers or post online somewhere to ask for ideas. Good questions to ask would be “What do you want to know about _____?” “What are your top frustrations with _____?” “What’s your favorite [tool/app/game/resource/person] for _____?”
You can easily get a new list of ideas from asking this one question.
This will sound weird. Sometimes, we don’t want to blog or podcast because we don’t feel like giving. We’re essentially being selfish.
The best way to overcome selfishness is to give more! So if you’re having trouble giving with your podcast, try finding another place where you can give.
9. Revisit or rerun old content
Timeless content is hard to make in a constantly changing world. Perhaps you have old content that you could revisit, update, and share again. For example, I plan to revisit stats, bare minimums, and live-streaming. This usually works best if the content is more than a year old and you actually have new information.
Alternatively, you may have timeless content buried in your archive. Consider rerunning this content, but at least update the episode number and tack on an opening and closing that reminds your audience that this is a rerun or “best of” episode.
Reruns are a little “cheap,” but they can work in tough times.
As a last result, maybe you should go ahead and skip. Sometimes, no content is better than bad content.
Consistency is important, but your audience will be understanding if you have good reasons for skipping.
- Podcast Movement and UK Podcasters conferences are coming up! Get your ticket now and be there with all the other great podcasters!
- The next Podcast Master Class is scheduled for September. Register now to learn how to take your podcast from average to amazing.
We need your help in the 2015 Podcast Awards!
Please nominate our shows in the Podcast Awards! It's fast and easy. You would be awesome to help us, as you and others have been awesome before.
- Visit podcastawards.com
- Under Peoples Choice, add Resurrection Revealed http://ResurrectionRevealed.com/
- Under Best Produced, add ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast http://ONCEpodcast.com/
- Under Business, add Beyond the To-Do List http://BeyondtheToDoList.com/
- Under Comedy, add the Ramen Noodle clean comedy http://CleanComedyPodcast.com/
- Under Entertainment, add Welcome to Level Seven http://WelcometoLevelSeven.com/
- Under General, add The Productive Woman http://TheProductiveWoman.com/
- Under Religion Inspiration, add Are You Just Watching? http://AreYouJustWatching.com/
- Under Technology, add The Audacity to Podcast http://TheAudacitytoPodcast.com/
- Enter your name and email address
- Choose whether you're a listener, podcaster, or both
- Click Submit
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theRamenNoodle
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- ONCE - Once Upon a Time podcast
- Resurrection Revealed
- The Sci Phi Show
- Christian Meets World
- The Productive Woman
- Are You Just Watching?
- Beyond the To Do List
- the Ramen Noodle
- Under the Dome Radio - Unofficial TV-show-fan podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven
- WONDERLAND - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links