Apple has just updated the Podcasts app for iOS to version 1.0.1 for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. This update appears to fix several of largest bugs reported by the user community.
From the official changelog:
Podcasts 1.0.1 provides a number of improvements, including:
- Significant improvements to performance and stability
- Podcasts in your library now show the number of unplayed episodes
- Top Stations now show the podcast title if artwork is missing
- Playback speed is now remembered when playing the next episode
- Fix for a problem where the Subscribe button is inactive
- Resolution of an issue where Top Stations artwork may not appear
Also fixed, although not listed, is the podcast syncing between desktop iTunes and the Podcasts app. This was my biggest disappointment with the Podcasts app for iOS, and was my sole reason for refusing to use it regularly. But I can confirm that episodes and playback positions flawlessly sync between desktop iTunes and the Podcasts app, and vice versa!
Missing podcast cover art was also a huge frustration for users and podcasters. Apple implemented two solutions: fixing the problem of existing artwork not displaying, and displaying a title if there's no artwork.
If the Podcasts app for iOS version 1.0 previously turned you away, now is a great time to try it again and let me know how it works for you!
Please retweet this!
— Daniel J. Lewis (@theDanielJLewis) July 25, 2012