Although BlogTalkRadio does present Skype options, the majority of podcasters turn to BlogTalkRadio as a great method to record a podcast with just a phone call. My fellow podcaster Jeremy Sarber disagrees and shared it in his Orange Coffee Cup podcast.
Disadvantages of BlogTalkRadio
- Obnoxious technical difficulties
- Cannot connect to your own show or open chat
- Switchboard won’t answer a call or play an audio file
- Pop-up and audio ads (affects listeners more than hosts)
- Unreliable statistics
- Seamless transfer away from BTR is impossible
- Horrible sound quality
- People will forsake good content if audio is bad enough
- Can’t speak over intro, exit, or bumper music
- VoIP sounds best but often cuts out
Jeremy shared more detail on these thoughts in his episode, which attracted the attention of Brian Benitez, vice president of product at BlogTalkRadio. Make sure you read Mr. Benitez's full comment on Jeremy's post.