Hear the latest about Audacity’s update, an important security update for PowerPress, the “podcasting patent” from Personal Audio, SpeakPipe‘s new paid plans, New Media Expo, and more in this “eleventy-first” podcast episode.
Audacity updates to 2.0.3
This latest update to Audacity brings mostly some bug fixes, but a couple handy new effects:
- Studio Fade Out (uses a filtered “S” curve).
- Adjustable Fade (accessible effect for creating partial fades and adjustable fade shapes).
- Bass and Treble (replaces Bass Boost).
Updating? It’s okay to install or update Audacity 2.0.3 over previous versions. But on OS X (and possibly Linux), backup your “plug-ins” folder first or else you will lose any plugins you added. After you finish the copy, put your chosen plugins back in the “plug-ins” folder.
Urgent security issue with 1-Pixel Out and PowerPress
Due to concerns of possible security exploits, the 1 Pixel Out Audio Player has been removed from PowerPress as of version 4.0.6. PowerPress users are strongly encouraged to update their copy of PowerPress immediately.
Personal Audio is suing podcasters
Personal Audio was award a patent that describes podcasting. This could be terrible news for podcasters and companies that assist podcasting! Check out the following links to learn more.
- Description from Personal Audio
- Actual patent from United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- Related “podcasting” patent by VoloMedia from USPTO
- The Podcast Patent Lawsuit Against Content Creators from Cliff Ravescraft
- SHIELD Act to stop patent trolls (HR 6245)
- Defend Innovation
SpeakPipe is coming out of beta with free and paid plans
I support this decision and I think they’re still offering a lot for free! But I’ll probably becoming a paying customer.
If you don’t like a monthly contract, consider the nonexpiring prepaid plans.
New Media Expo thoughts
Audacity training workshop
I’m going to offer my first online training workshop for anyone to learn how to use Audacity. The workshop will probably be noon (EST/GMT-5) on Saturday, March 2.
This will be an information-packed hour with time for questions after. All registrants will receive a downloadable copy after the workshop.
9 15, you can reserve your seat for $100. Email Feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com with the subject “Audacity training workshop” to reserve your spot before they’re all taken!
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theRamenNoodle
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links