If you don't know PHP, it can be tricky to figure out how to list your latest podcast episodes on your WordPress site. The method I will share with you is do it for each of my podcasts in the Noodle.mx sidebar. This works in WordPress 3.0.
- Pick a tag for your podcast posts, like “podcast-episode,” and add it to all of your posts that you want to be listed as podcast episodes. It doesn't matter if they're in different categories.
- Install Execute PHP Widget plugin. WordPress doesn't allow PHP in text widgets, but this plugin creates a new widget type that can run PHP code, which we'll need for this to work.
- Go to the Appearance > Widgets in your WordPress admin and drag PHP Code into the widget area of your choice.
- Give the widget a title as you normally would
- Insert the following code into the content area. I'll explain how to adapt it.
- Save your widget and look at your site!
Line 4 is the important line. replace “&category=0” with the ID number of the category of the podcast you want to list. For example, my Are You Just Watching?™ podcast is category 4, so I would write “&category=4” in there. If you want this to list all your podcasts from every category, remove “&category=4” from line 4.
You'll also notice that we put “&tag=podcast-episode” in there. That's how it knows to list every WordPress post with the tag “podcast-episode.” Adapt accordingly with the tag you use. I personally use “podcast,” but may change that to “podcast-episode.”