Whether you have a small or large podcast, you can make money from it. While this is not an exhaustive list, Daniel J. Lewis shares his top five ways to monetize the content you’re posting on the Internet in your podcast or blog.
1. Premium stuff
Charging a price for something that isn’t available for free.
- Full access for members and limited access to nonmembers
- Bonus features or content
- No ads
When you ask people to give money or buy something for you.
- PayPal donate button and subscriptions
- Amazon.com wishlists
- “Sponsor” an episode and have a message read
3. Ads and affiliates
Typically products or services you advertise but have no relationship or long-term agreement with the company. These can be text or banners on your site or spoken in your podcast.
- Sales are when someone buys something.
- Leads are when someone visits or joins without parting with money.
Popular places for affiliate links
Typically when there is a relationship or long-term agreement with a sponsor for regular inclusion in your podcast or blog.
Three models of sponsorship
- CPM—cost per thousand downloads
- CPA/CPC—cost per action / cost per click
- Flat rate—paid no matter how many downloads or actions
Promoting something that you offer and furthering your own brand.
- Products—something you sell, like digital products, physical products, fan “swag”
- Services—something you do, like photography, baking, consulting, etc.
CMP.LY is a simple solution for required social media disclosures and “fine print”
CMP.LY provides tools to document compliance, track and measure your social marketing campaigns
I quit my job to be self-employed
After ten years in a nonprofit ministry and fulfilling my goals there, I saw God blessing my life in another direction. So I am officially resigning to pursue self-employment as a web designer, apologetics and social-media speaker, and podcast consultant.
Need personalized podcasting help?
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Leave a voicemail at (903) 231-2221
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Connect with me
- Subscribe to The Audacity to Podcast on Apple Podcasts or on Android.
- Join the Facebook Page and watch live podcasting Q&A on Mondays at 2pm (ET)
- Subscribe on YouTube for video reviews, Q&A, and more
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship and may receive compensation from your actions through such links. However, I don't let that corrupt my perspective and I don't recommend only affiliates.