Whether you have a small or large podcast, you can make money from it. While this is not an exhaustive list, Daniel J. Lewis shares his top five ways to monetize the content you’re posting on the Internet in your podcast or blog.
1. Premium stuff
Charging a price for something that isn’t available for free.
- Full access for members and limited access to nonmembers
- Bonus features or content
- No ads
When you ask people to give money or buy something for you.
- PayPal donate button and subscriptions
- Amazon.com wishlists
- “Sponsor” an episode and have a message read
3. Ads and affiliates
Typically products or services you advertise but have no relationship or long-term agreement with the company. These can be text or banners on your site or spoken in your podcast.
- Sales are when someone buys something.
- Leads are when someone visits or joins without parting with money.
Popular places for affiliate links
Typically when there is a relationship or long-term agreement with a sponsor for regular inclusion in your podcast or blog.
Three models of sponsorship
- CPM—cost per thousand downloads
- CPA/CPC—cost per action / cost per click
- Flat rate—paid no matter how many downloads or actions
Promoting something that you offer and furthering your own brand.
- Products—something you sell, like digital products, physical products, fan “swag”
- Services—something you do, like photography, baking, consulting, etc.
CMP.LY is a simple solution for required social media disclosures and “fine print”
CMP.LY provides tools to document compliance, track and measure your social marketing campaigns
I quit my job to be self-employed
After ten years in a nonprofit ministry and fulfilling my goals there, I saw God blessing my life in another direction. So I am officially resigning to pursue self-employment as a web designer, apologetics and social-media speaker, and podcast consultant.
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links