WordPress is powerful for running your podcast website and it can be the base for automating your podcasting workflow. Here are 13 WordPress plugins to help!
The premise of “automation” (versus automatic actions)
Many tools can do things automatically. But all of the following tools are focused on automation, that is, automatically doing many things for you and not only a single task.
Automation may have a learning curve, but the ultimate result will make up for it!
Publishing your podcast post isn't the end of your podcasting workflow. It's also critical to share that post onto your own social-network accounts and perhaps other social areas.
Jetpack offers a free Publicize module, or you can get a lot more control with the paid plugin Social Auto Poster. Both plugins allow you to link social accounts, such as Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and more (even Buffer), and then your post will be shared out immediately on publish. Social Auto Poster even lets you customize how your messages appear before they're sent, or schedule when the messages will go out.
Like Social Jukebox and Edgar, Revive Old Post and Tweet Wheel will automatically reshare your content from your archive. But this is entirely powered and managed from your WordPress website! It can run on your archive as well as automatically on new content.
This is my favorite plugin I discovered in my research for this episode. When discussing content from other sites, it's often nice to include an image to represent that site. You could be commenting on a general website or a specific page. Instead of manually messing with browser plugins, PC apps, or other tools to capture, convert, upload, and include the screenshot of the website, Browser Shots will do that all for you and you only have to enter a simple shortcode in your page or post!
I talked about Buffer in my episode about Internet-based automation tools for podcasting. Buffer allows for easily spreading multiple posts across a schedule as well as crossposting to other networks.
This plugin can also be used instead of Jetpack Publicize or Social Auto Poster because you can post immediately through Buffer.
I usually talk about Simple Podcast Press as a better podcast player for your WordPress website. It also has great automation built in!
If your podcast feed is generated by anything other than your own WordPress website, Simple Podcast Press can automatically import all your episodes to your own site and include your episode's player. This works on all past episodes and automatically for all future episodes!
(Use promo code “noodle” to save 25%!)
Similar to Simple Podcast Press, Simple Social Press will automatically publish your Facebook Live events to your WordPress site.
I have previously recommended Shortcode Exec PHP and then Shortcodes Pro, but neither WordPress plugin is being developed anymore. Now, I recommend Add Shortcodes Actions and Filters.
The most powerful use of this is in creating your own shortcodes. For example,
[show_notes_close]. That shortcode can automatically insert your podcast's closing text into the WordPress post. That saves a lot of time and ensures consistency.
This becomes an investment in future automation. If you ever decide you want to change that closing text, you need only change it in the shortcode and it will be automatically changed everywhere you used that shortcode!
Backing up your WordPress website is extremely important. Your web-hosting provider may offer daily backups, and I think you should also keep your own. These are useful for rolling back updates, reverting to before you made breaking changes, and protecting your content in case your site is ever infected.
Each of these backup plugins have manually triggered options, and automatic backups are often limited to the paid plugins.
Of these popular backup plugins, I use and recommend BackupBuddy because it's easy, automatic, well-supported, and can send my backups off site to a variety of destinations (Amazon S3, Dropbox, email, FTP, etc.).
One of my all-time favorite plugins for WordPress, Pretty Link Pro, recently released its long-awaited new version. Now, Pretty Link Pro incorporates many of my suggestions and includes some great automation features.
You're probably already familiar with these simple automated tasks Pretty Link Pro can do:
- Automatically hyperlink keywords with your pretty links in pages, posts, comments, and feeds
- Drastically simplify the process of making a pretty link for your pages and posts
Pretty Link Pro 2.0 added a few great new tools for automations
- Geolocation-based redirects—Instead of making separate redirects for each country, make a single one go different places depending on where the user is.
- Technology-based redirects—A single link can redirect to a different destination based on the browser, device, or operating system of the user.
- Time-based redirects—A single link can be scheduled to point different places (or expire) based a schedule!
Thank you for the podcast reviews!
- Ricky, host of Daily Devotional, wrote in iTunes-USA, “Inspiring and Practical. Love this podcast. I've been thinking about starting a podcast with Daily Devotionals for years and your show finally led me to pull the trigger. I'm about 60 episodes in [now more than 140!] and just enjoying every second. It's called Daily Devotional and seems to be going well. Thanks so much!!”
- To help celebrate and contribute to my upcoming 300th episode, listen to my first episode of The Audacity to Podcast. Then send me feedback and critiques as if you want to help that podcaster improve.
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links