It's the new year and this is a time for many New Year's resolutions. Here are five podcasting resolutions I suggest for your podcast in the coming 365 days (even if it's not New Year's Day).
1. Resolve to publish consistently
Consistency is one of the most important aspect of building an audience around content.
You may justify a short hiatus because of holidays or other events, but those could be prime opportunities to make your podcast stand out and gain a new audience.
What changes would you have to make in order to not miss a single episode for the next year?
2. Resolve to improve
Regardless of where you are in podcasting, there's still room to improve. Consider the five cornerstones of a great podcast:
- Content—the message you share
- Presentation—how you communicate the message
- Production—the technical side
- Promotion—how you market your podcast
- Profit—the purpose and goals of your podcast
Critically evaluate your own podcast (or ask someone else to do it). What areas do you see where you can improve?
3. Resolve to grow your audience
I think we would all love to have a larger audience. Growing your audience is usually not a passive thing. It takes extra work, some planning, and maybe some financial investments. It takes real action to grow your podcast beyond standard “podcast inflation.”
What can you do to grow our podcast audience larger than if you did nothing?
4. Resolve to attend a relevant, in-person event
Networking is hugely beneficial—not only for the potential to meet new people and partner, but also the new energy such events can infuse into your passions!
I love Podcast Movement and other social-media conferences, but the best event for you may be something far more relevant to your niche. Consider other local, regional, national, or international events that may have far more people interested in your niche.
For ideas, look at conference sites like Lanyard, Meetup, or industry websites and publications.
5. Resolve to do something new and bold
Lastly, try something radical this year!
- Create your first product for your podcast
- Host a live, in-person event for your community
- Start a new show
- Add another media platform (video, audio, blogging, social, etc.)
- Start using a new tool
There are so many opportunities to do something new and bold that you might get overwhelmed. But pick only one and resolve to accomplish it in the coming year.
Thank you for the podcast reviews!
- Join me and Brian from ProfitCast for a live, free webinar on January 28, 2016! We'll share “Why You Must Profit from Podcasting and How to Do It.” Click here to register!
Need personalized podcasting help?
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Leave a voicemail at (903) 231-2221
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Connect with me
- Subscribe to The Audacity to Podcast on Apple Podcasts or on Android.
- Join the Facebook Page and watch live podcasting Q&A on Mondays at 2pm (ET)
- Subscribe on YouTube for video reviews, Q&A, and more
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship and may receive compensation from your actions through such links. However, I don't let that corrupt my perspective and I don't recommend only affiliates.