Once you have your podcasting gear setup, it’s time to pick your live-streaming service and embed it on your website!
Make sure that you’ve listened to previous episodes in our live-streaming series.
- 5 Reasons, 4 Cautions
- How to Live-Stream Yourself While Podcasting
- How to Live-Stream and Record a Podcast with Others
Pick a live-streaming service
The follow is a list of the most-popular and some not-so-popular services for live-streaming video and audio.
If you have trouble with any of these in OS X Lion, then you have to add an “Allow” rule to Flash Player. Even after that, I still couldn’t get some of them to work, so your results may vary.
- Ustream.tv—The most popular, no customization controls for embed, optional chat room
- Justin.tv—Unobtrusive ads, low-quality sound
- Livestream.com—iframe embed for future mobile-friendliness
- Stickam.com—Customization controls for embed
- TinyChat.tv—very little customization, forces using their chat room
- Bambuser.com—streaming to Facebook, too
What do you think of these services? Have you used them as a live-streamer or as an attendee? Please share your reviews, or suggestions of other services to consider.
Embed the player on your site
I highly recommend that you have your own live page on your own website. Follow these instructions to make that with WordPress and embed your own player.
- Login to your WordPress admin with yourpodcast.com/wp-admin/
- Go to Pages > Add New.
- Name it “Live.”
- Switch to the HTML tab.
- Copy your embed code from the live-streaming site.
- Paste into the HTML tab.
- Save, preview, and publish!
“Hack” the embed code
Here’s some sample code from Ustream (with some things omitted). Change the bold stuff to adjust the size or auto-play behavior of your player.
<object classid=”clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000″ width=”480″ height=”296″><param name=”flashvars” value=”autoplay=false&brand=embed&v3=1″/><param name=”allowfullscreen” value=”true”/><param name=”allowscriptaccess” value=”always”/><param name=”movie” value=”http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf”/><embed flashvars=”autoplay=false&brand=embed&v3=1″ width=”480″ height=”296″ allowfullscreen=”true” allowscriptaccess=”always” src=”http://www.ustream.tv/flash/viewer.swf” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” /></object><br />
<a href=”http://www.ustream.tv/” style=”padding: 2px 0px 4px; width: 400px; background: #ffffff; display: block; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 10px; text-decoration: underline; text-align: center;” target=”_blank”>Streaming by Ustream</a>
Most embed codes will include some link-back text at the end. You can remove this, as illustrated above.
Check out more Noodle.mx Network shows
- The Audacity to Podcast: "How-to" podcast about podcasting
- Beyond the To-Do List: Personal and professional productivity
- The Productive Woman: Productivity for busy women
- ONCE: Once Upon a Time podcast
- the Ramen Noodle: Family-friendly clean comedy
- Welcome to Level Seven: Agents of SHIELD and Marvel’s cinematic universe podcast
- Are You Just Watching?: Movie reviews with Christian critical thinking
- WONDERLAND: Once Upon a Time in Wonderland podcast
- Resurrection Revealed: Resurrection podcast
- Under the Dome Radio: Under the Dome podcast
- The Sci-Phi Show: Science-fiction and philosophy
- Christian Meets World: Christian worldview and the everyday
I can help you launch or improve your podcast
I'm available for one-on-one consulting to help you launch or improve your podcast.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the shownotes
- Call (903) 231-2221 to leave a voicemail
- Email feedback@TheAudacitytoPodcast.com (audio files welcome)
Please connect with me
- Read Daniel J. Lewis's personal blog about freelancing, web design, social media, technology, and more
- Subscribe, rate, and review in iTunes
- Join the Facebook Page
- Follow @theDanielJLewis
Find more podcasts about technology on the Tech Podcasts Network.
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive comissions or bonuses from your actions on such links